OpenOptogenetics is an attempt to promote the sharing of information and know-how in optogenetics.
The electrical cochlear implant
(CI) is considered the most successful neuroprosthesis. Implanted in more than 200,000 hearing-impaired subjects worldwide, CIs enable open speech comprehension in the majority of users. A major drawback of current cochlear prostheses is their low frequency resolution due to current spread of electrical stimulation, limiting their use in music enjoyment and prosody. Thus, there is need for spatially confined stimulation to improve frequency resolution. In a recent Journal of Clinical Investigation article
, Tobias Moser and his colleagues demonstrate the feasibility of optogenetic activation of the auditory pathway by stimulating the auditory nerve inside the cochlea. ...Continue reading...
Welcome new OpenOptogenetics users!
What is OpenOptogenetics?
OpenOptogenetics is a collaborative project started in 2010 which aims at promoting, facilitating and democratizing the use of optogenetic approaches in biological research. In this wiki, researchers can share their technical know-how and keep each other informed about the latest technical advances. OpenOptogenetics also provides background knowledge to help everyone master current tools and anticipate future technical developments.
How to contribute?
OpenOptogenetics.org is open and free. Anyone can post/edit articles and upload files after creating an account. Steps for registering are the following:
- Request an account here. You will be asked to enter your username, email address and a short biography.
- An email will be sent to you with a link to validate your address.
- An administrator will then review your request and aprove it.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your username and password, asking you to log in and change your password.
- That's it. You can then start creating and editing pages (only admins can delete pages). Look for help in the "help" tab of the navigation bar.
Feedback, comments, suggestions and requests for new entries in the navigation bar can be sent to the admins (postmaster[at]openoptogenetics[dot]org). Artwork for the wiki is welcome. Submit your pictures and drawings at the above address. A flyer to advertise the wiki can be downloaded from here.
Wiki stats: 1,055 pages, 223 uploaded files.
- 06/27/2013: due to a change in Twitter's API, the Twitter feed is no longer available through the usual Twitter widget. Will look for a fix.
- 08/18/2012: users can now register and post comments on the blog. Wordpress upgraded to 3.4.1.
- 07/11/2012: new wiki page for posting job adverts in the field of optogenetics.
- 06/06/2012: featured news are now entered as regular blog posts. A summary will be provided on the wiki's main page.
- 12/08/2011: page News deleted. News are now posted on our Twitter account.
- 05/05/2011: SQL database extended to 500 Mo.
- 04/15/2011: anti-spam protection upgraded. Account creation now requires to fill up a form with of short biography (7 words minimum) and to confirm the account via email.